If you’re only used to doing stem cuttings, stem grafting sure is something different for you. Some farmers in Indonesia have been applying this technique for a long time.
Grafting, or known also as “entres” by local farmers, can be done easily for reasons as stated below:
- Can be done by everyone
- Easy technique
- Easily found tools
- Simple and traditional
- High quality harvest with a chance of new varieties
- Grows fast
- Doesn’t take a long time to figure out if it’s a success or a failure
Looking at those reasons, it’s a pretty easy decision to start grafting your cassava trees. For further information on how to do it, check the information as follows:
- Get Your Tools Ready
- Sterile, sharp knife. Make sure to soak your knife in hot water with temperature around 50 – 100 degree celcius to prevent bacteria and pathogenic microbes contamination.
- Raffia or tape. This will be used to tie together cassava stems.
- Plastic wrap. This can be used as cover for the beginning of grafting process until 3 – 4 days. This is done to prevent over exposure of the sun.
- This will be used to prick your plastic wrap.
- The Procedure
- Use your sharp sterile knife to cut several young bud samples from cassava variety A. Take 10 – 15 cm of it then cut the end of it into a spearhead.
- Cut the bud off cassava variety B in a shape to match the spearhead of the cassava variety A cut
- Combine those two stems and tie them up from the outer part of the cassava variety B as its prime stem.
- If needed, you can use transparent white plastic wrap to cover your grafted buds. Don’t forget to prick your plastic with needles first to allow oxygen to flow. After 3 – 4 days, you can take the plastic off.
- Wait 30 days for the result. If it’s a success, the stems will have combined and you will get a new variety of cassava.
For your information, grafted cassava from each variety will result in different phenotypes. You can experiment with different varieties of cassavas to find the most productive result of harvest. This grafting technique has 99,9 % success rate if done correctly.