8 Criteria of Intercrops Selection for Intercropping:
- The crops have shallow and fibrous roots should be preferred as intercrops.
- The ginger, zimikand, papaya, strawberry, plum, peach, guava, pineapple, karonda, can be grown as intercrops in old orchards.
- The tomato, onion, radish, beans, cauliflower, cowpea, guar, pea, chick pea, lentil, mustrad, pumpkin, cucumber, lady’s finger, and seed spices can be grown as intercrops in young orchards.
- The legumes are the better choice as an intercrops in the orchards established on neglected or poor fertile soil.
- The perennial, exhaustive, and robust growing crops should not be selected as an intercrops in the orchard.
- The vegetables are the better choice for the orchards which are nearer to cities or towns.
- The shade loving crops such us elephant foot and turmeric should be preferred to cultivate in a full grown bearing orchard.
- The water requirement of the intercrops should coincide with the water need fruit plants. The leguminous crops and vegetable should be grown as intercrop in the young orchard.