The currant tomato seedling has been widely on sale in the market, including var. Bintang Asia (Solanum cheesmaniae) currant tomato which is popular and widely cultivated by farming community throughout the country. currant tomato is the easiest type to cultivate, and producing dense and plenty fruit , and un-doubtfully profitable.
There are several stages (steps) to be aware of in cultivating currant tomato, such as the stages seed preparation, land cultivation, sowing the seeds, planting seedlings process, maintenance process , pests and diseases control until harvesting process.
Before starting the farming activities of currant tomato, the farmer should know in advance of how to seed currant tomato var Bintang Asia seedlings and the other varieties. Basically they have got similar seeding mechanisms.
The following steps should be done in seeding the currant tomato seedlings:
- Prepare currant tomato seed from the purchased seed in the market.
- The seeds are preferably soaked in a bowl of lukewarm water before sowing. The soaking process takes at least 2 hours of time.
- After a 2-hour soaking, strain/drain the seed from the bowl/container, and the seeds are ready to sow; different from it of chili pepper seedling, to sow currant tomato seedling is very practical
- The first step in the seeding of currant tomato seedling is to prepare seedbed made lengthwise with the width of 1 meter and the height is 25-30 cm. The length of the seedbed is tailored to the available land area.
- After the seedbed is prepared, then sprinkle mixture of soil + compost/manure with a ratio of 2:1 over the surface of the seedbed evenly, then spray the insecticide liquid above the surface of the seedbed or sprinkle furadan around the seedbed so that pests such as red ants are not easy to eat the seeds of the seedlings
- After the seedbeds are prepared,then spread the seed of currant tomato over the seedbed randomly , after that cover the seedbed with dry straw or weed remnant or banana leaves. It usually takes 3-4 days for the seeds to germinate , hence during the germination time, water the seed regularly every morning and evening to keep the soil moist.
- The currant tomato seedlings usually germinate after 3-4 days. Remove the banana leaves / weed remnant / straw that used to cover the seedbed previously.
- Let the seeds that have germinated for 20 days and don’t forget to give a simple roof of woven palm leaves woven/can also use clear plastic made house-like. It is to prevent the seeds of being collapse during the heavy rain, gushing wind, pests, etc.
So the point is that when the plant seedlings reach 20 days of age, the seedlings have usually got complex leaves, the roots which have already firm, and ready to transplant to the open land (other more extensive seedbeds).
The following are the pictures of seeding of successfully cultivated currant tomatoes seedling:
Those were the last pictures of how to seed currant tomato seedlings, may they bring benefits to all fellow planters and farmers. May it be useful as reference material for your consideration in determining seedling land for current tomatoes. May it be beneficial. Other article, please read: How to Set Up Pole Markers With The Drill System for Tomato Plants.