In Indonesia and various other countries in the world, fig gardening is getting more and more popular. Fig originated in Arab then spread to Europe, Australia, America, Africa, and other Asian countries. Fig gardening is actually quite simple and easy.
Generally, fig gardening is just like taking care of any other plants:
- Pick high quality seeds. You can get fig seeds through stem transplant, grafting, stem cuttings, or other vegetative procedures. From sight, you can see your seedling with height around 50 – 60 cm and its stem diameter is twice as wide as a normal pencil. Make sure to check the buds and young leaves, the more the better. It’s even better if you can know for sure that the seedling comes from high quality proven tree parent.
- After that, you can plant your seeds in a planting medium made of harrowed soil and fertilizer of your choice. You can plant them in pots or directly on the ground.
- Don’t forget to water your plants once a day in the late afternoon.
Fig trees aren’t really fussy about watering but in the beginning, you have to make sure to keep the soil humidity stable to accelerate growth process.
Fig Tree Seedlings
Here are some things you can do to get your fig trees to bear a lot of fruit fast:
- Figs like sort of dry soil, so it’s best to plant them at the end of rainy season and into the beginning of dry season
- Make sure your fig trees get all time sun exposure, place them nowhere shaded
- In the beginning of planting process, fertilization is done in just enough dosage. After two years, then you can give them manure fertilizer to avoid leaf abscission and to get them to bear fruit faster
- Cut off drying and yellowing leaves
- Watch out for stem borers that can make your fig stems hollow and damaged. You can prevent this by injecting stem strengthener hormone and giving root and stem grow helper nutrients
- If you plant your figs in pots, pay attention to the size of your fig trees and your pots. When your fig trees have reached 1.5 to 2 meters in height, move them to bigger pots. Fig trees can grow up to 35 meters.
- Harvest is done when your fig trees are about 4 – 5 years old.