Chili peppers farmed in Indonesia are prone to pest and disease attacks. Harvest failure can also be a result of non-consistent weather and climate lately or other factors like neglect and lack of nutrients in the planting medium.
Abscission of flowers and fruits is actually a result of many factors, but the most crucial one is lack of fertilization and watering.
Of course you’ve already known the benefits of organic or non-organic fertilizers in giving extra nutrients like nitrogen, potassium, calcium, and other minerals. Those nutrients are important in controlling biological and physiological activities of your chili trees. Nutrient deficiency can cause late blooming and late or imperfect development of leaves and fruits.
Here are several factors that result in abscission of flowers and fruits on chili trees:
- Very low humidity
- Nutrients deficiency
- Dry and barren soil
- Too high temperature
- Not enough sun light exposure
- Pest and disease attack, especially from thrips, aphids, and CMV
- Improper care
- Too much water accumulation around seedbeds
- High precipitation
- Weather and climate anomaly
- El-Nino storm
Now that we know the cause, here’s how you can deal with it:
- In the beginning of seeding or seedbed forming, make sure to give extra calcium through spraying
- Pay close attention in pest and disease control. Some farmers spray water directly onto stems and leaves when watering to kill larvae or eggs on them that can be dangerous for chili trees
- It’s better to plant your chili trees outside with enough sun light exposure with no obscuration from tall buildings or other crops. Sun light is a very important ingredient for photosynthesis that produces food for your chili trees
- Make sure to plant your chili crops where it’d be easy to control the amount of water for your chili trees in order to keep the soil and air humidity stabile. Also make sure not to over-water your trees because the leaves will curl of worse, your chili trees can die.
- Prevent the growing of thrips, aphids, and yaws by using bio-pesticides or the usual chemical pesticides.
- Pay close attention to the growth and development of your chili trees as they age. Use fertilizers that are rich in nitrogen, potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Also make sure not to give too much of nitrogen because it can endanger your chili tree.
- For particular nutrients, especially micro nutrients, spray leaf fertilizers with complete micro nutrients directly onto the leaves.
So that was the explanation on causes and preventions of flowers and fruits abscission on chili trees. Hope this is useful for you.