A massive increase in chili plantation harvest of is naturally influenced by certain factors. The seeding, planting, and plant maintenance are absolute factors not to skip in Chili cultivation.
Sowing the chili seeds/seedlings is not supposed to be done haphazardly. It must follow the rules and procedures that have been done by modern farmers, professional farmers in Indonesia and all over the world.
Each farmer has his own technique to conduct seed chilies seeding , for example some directly sow the seed on the land for, and others do it by germinating the seed previously then transplant them in a pot to let the seed enlarge before they are planted in an open land (seedbed in the rice fields, garden, fields, Moor, etc).
The latest technique of seeding seeds chili is the technique of “sterile pro”. This technique has been developing rapidly and greatly enthused by the horticulturists across the world. One of the advantages of this technique is the simultaneous growth of the plants. If you are interested in trying it out, please feel free to follow the steps below.
How to sow chili pepper seedling using “Sterile Pro” Technique.
It is probably new to you to hear the sterile Pro as pepper seed seedling technique. Sterile Pro is a way to accelerate seedling time of chili pepper using damp cloth media and previously sterilized seed by lukewarm water.
Below are the steps of how to seed the Chili Pepper seedling using the Sterile Pro technique:
- Prepare the dried chili seed or purchased seed . Ensure that the purchased seeds are the superior seed and disease-resistant (See the label on the packaging).
- Prepare the seedlings as required (in every package there are approximately 1,400 chili pepper seedlings) before they are sown. Then soak the seedlings in a glass of lukewarm water for about 3 hours (until the water cold). The purpose of this soaking is to sterilize and to check whether the seedlings are cultivable or not. Choose only the sinking seedlings and leave the floating ones.
- Strain / drain the seedlings and sit at least 3-5 minutes;
- Prepare the clean worn clothing and then dip it into cold water so that it gets
- Then place the previously drained chilli seeds on the top of the cloth, and fold carefully until the seeds are perfectly placed in the folded damp cloth.
- Leave the seeds at a proper place (e.g. placed in buckets/basins) for 3-4 days;
- On the third and fourth days, the seeds usually have germinated, and that’s the time for seedlings transplanting by moving the germinated seeds into the polybags containing –rotten straw mixture , or in the dried cow dung /mixed with the soil around media.
- After the seventh point is done, then prepare some small size poly bag pot has been filled with soil and manure mixture by 2:1 ratio, or clay + straw by 2:1 ratio ( please select one of the planting medias ), and ensure that the plybag pots have been perforated underneath for soil aeration and to drain the excessive water from watering into the environment.
- After small polybag pots filled with soil and compost or manure mixture media , make planting holes on the planting medium in poly bag of approximately 0.5 cm in depth. It functionates to plant the germinated seeds. Remember to only plant one seedling in each small polybag container.
- After the planting holes are made on the media in polybag pots, then put 1 germinated seedling in each provided planting hole , then sprinkle fine soil to cover the planting hole. It’s no need to press the soil, just add it up around the planting hole;
- Next is to do regular watering (morning and evening or depends on the soil conditions, when the soil is still moist and has adequate water then watering is not required /conditonal) until the seedlings have actually been growing and developing , so that the sprouts grow about 15-20 cm of hight ( estimated to be aged 20 days after planting). At this height, it is the perfect time for seedlings to be transplanted in the open land (seedbed with or without plastic mulch );
- Seedlings are to transplant onto open land/seedbed by cutting poly bag using scissors, then directly plant the mature seedlings into the planting hole at the seedbed along with the soil in it.
- Next is plant cultivating which includes watering, harrowing , fertilizing, weeding, ,pruning , disease and pest control until harvesting the Best of luck.
I hope my information about Sterile-Pro Sowing Technique for Chili Peppers in Agriculture useful for you.